Thursday, June 20, 2013

Going to the hairdresser (aller au salon de coiffure)

Aller au salon de coiffure

There are some locations women(and some men) scout out immediately upon moving to a new area.  One of these places is a hair salon.  I find french women in particular enjoy getting their hair done and you will no doubt find a salon at least every 1/2 km in a town (in my town even less).  At first I was a bit overwhelmed by it all, and just let my hair grow out.  Then I got pregnant and needed something to freshen me up.  I got my husband to call one of the salons I selected to make an appointment for me.  I got along alright...through hand signals and my mediocre attempts at french.

The next time I went to get my haircut the hairdresser picked up that I spoke english and immediately switched.  That was nice of her, however I do like to practice my french and find often people will automatically switch to english when they hear my accent as I try to speak french.  Sometimes I will say  'Je pratique mon français'(I am practicing my french) -or ' parlez moi en français s'il vous plaît,'(Speak to me in french please) to try and get them to continue in french.

Back to the hairdresser,  I was there again  yesterday.  I was proud of myself because I went in and made an appointment in french the day before.  Je voudrais un rendevous pour couper mes cheveux demain, (I would like an appointment to get my haircut tomorrow). When I arrived at the salon, I saw the hair dresser I thought I  made an appointment with coloring another ladies hair.  They were also heavy into a conversation(french salon talk) and I did not want to inturpt with my strong frenglish accent.

I got my break when one of the stylists went to the reception desk.  I said, ``J'ai pres un rendez-vous hier pour me faire couper les cheveux aujourd'hui à dix heure,`` (I made an appointment to have my hair cut yesterday for 10).  The stylist confirmed with me that she would be with me shortly, she was not the stylist I had thought I made an appointment with, but at least I would be getting my hair cut soon.

I got my haircut and was pleased with it, however I did not speak very much french during the cut.   La prochaine fois je pratiquerai mon français davantage (next time I will practice my french more).  I think a hair salon is a perfect place to practice and there is lots of salons to choose from here!


 A picture getting my hair done in the salon

No comments:

Post a Comment