Monday, April 1, 2013

It won't hurt to try

I have wanted to start a blog for quite sometime now however I have not been able to come up with an interesting topic to blog about.  I thought maybe I am boring and shouldn't even bother...which is probably not far from the truth!  However,  this morning I spent my time researching  blog how-too's, blog providers,  blog topics, etc.  I also thought about my interests, health, exercise, food...so many blogs on those topics already. I don't really have any true skills that are worth blogging about either.

I considered doing a military wife blog(as to be clear, I am one) however after looking that up I realized that some wives already have some pretty decent blogs going and I don't really have a military wife identity yet.   Hmm...I still had to think about it.


Later on in the day while having lunch with my french husband I was discussing with him speaking mostly  in french as best as I possibly could(with google translator) how he learned English.  He said, he learned at 18-19 years of age.  He is now fluent and possibly better at it than me.  I then asked him how long it took  him to be fluent...he replied "two years"...and I wanted to know where he learned, who he talked to, what he did and he said,"it just happened." Sigh...learning french is not going to just happen for me!

So after living in Québec for a year and a half I have made some gains in french but nothing to brag about and certainly not enough to keep up in a conversation with a preschooler, let alone an intellectual conversation with my husbands family.  I have taken french courses (free from the military family resource centre), I have Rosetta Stone(that I am not using enough), I watch french TV,  I worked in Montreal for 6 months, I got married to the same man twice in bilingual ceremonies,  I had a baby in Quebec but alas none of these things have truly impacted my fluency in french.

Still, maybe with this blog it will help me learn french.  It won't hurt to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment